Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell


I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, 2009
Dir: Bob Gosse
October 6, 2009

Why o' why does every low-brow movie have to have a mushy ending now? It's the same conflict, reformation, redemption formula that all these movies have, with a little hint of the "Oh, this wise-acre might be back up to his old tricks" gag at the end. And it happens at a wedding. Holy fucking shit, that's like the first time that's ever happened. Is there a humongous problem with a guy that treats women like objects and only selfishly uses his friends for his own benefit to be left in his pathetic existence? Just be like, "Hey, I'm a terrible human being. I hope they serve beer in hell. The End." I'm not saying that would make this a good movie, maybe just rustle a few more feathers, because despite all of the un-p.c. jokes, this movies plays by all the rules and it's execution in that is still pretty lame. If Hollywood never comes out of the dark of the economic bust, I'm not quite sure what's going to happen to my love affair with retarded low-brow. All of these movies are the fucking same. I guess I just have to wait for the next season of Eastbound and Down for some quality comedy that is off the wall.

Like I said, this was a not good movie, but it's over the top offensiveness gets enough laughs if you're into that sort of thing. They could have done way more considering the tone that was set, though. If you can laugh at a guy who cares more about having sex with a midget stripper than he does about his friend's wedding or the circumstances that he constantly puts his friends into, then this is the movie for you. Could a better story have saved this movie? I doubt it. There are some funny zingers for sure, but nothing else about this movie is good.

No comments: