Thursday, August 12, 2010

Project A

A 計劃 (Project A), 1983
Dir: Jackie Chan

Jackie wears his old Hollywood influences on his sleeve in Project A more than any other film of his that I've seen. This isn't a bad thing per se, considering that those influences are Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd, but I think something gets a bit lost in the overall enjoyment because of it, plot wise. But you can't really deny the how insane some of the stunts are. The clock tower scene is bonkers and the outtakes of it at the end are some of the craziest shit I've seen Jackie do.


Like all "Three Brothers" films, Sammo Hung definitely has the best comedic chops in my opinion. His timing and delivery just can't be beaten, and add to that his physical skills he's a dynamic asset to any film. Just watching him walk around with a stove-pipe hat on, gesticulating everywhere is pretty hilarious. Biao Yuen is not a weak link (considering how awesome he is in Wheels on Meals (1984) you'd know) but his role here doesn't really let him flex his best muscles if you as me. Jackie here is pretty great in everything he does, as usual, so no problems there.


The Old Hong Kong and pirates thing I thought would act as a catalyst for something awesome, but by the end you kind of realize how irrelevant it all is compared to all the awesome stunts and fights. I'm only saying this because there are good Jackie movies where they blend pretty well. I suppose I'm being picky, and its pretty much the only gripe I have about this (besides the "comedic" supporting cast not being very funny). All of the other stuff in this is Jackie at his very best.

No comments: